I flew home to New York on Tuesday, a day of flying which I love – no responsibilities, no computers or phones. Just solid, uninterrupted hours of reading time. I finished a stack of magazines and the final 350 pages of The Goldfinch, a book I’d put off reading for a while, but couldn’t put down once I got into it.
Home is as I left it, which is what is part of what I appreciate about home. Somewhere familiar, a place to recharge and reminisce, catch up with friends and family. I’ve had a rousing game of Scrabble with my grandma (our little tradition whenever I go home), 24 hours of camping with my brother and his girlfriend on a site where he has a permanent trailor and a lake for kayaking. We ate steak, Giambotti and s’mores with Reese’s and cinnamon graham crackers. I had a porch chat with my dad and looked through photos with my mom. Today’s her birthday and we’re off for a day of shopping before dinner and cake with family. Hard to believe I’m off to Boston already on Sunday morning. Time certainly flies.
What are you up to this weekend? Any fun plans?
Here are a few links for the weekend:
- Have you ever travelled just for the food? Judging by the photos in this beautiful blog post, next time I make it to the West coast of the goold old USA, I’m heading to Portland!
- Bored? This colouring book for grown-ups is quite entertaining…Also entertaining, amusing smuggling schemes caught by customs.
- 5 recipes to try: Nectarine Thyme Gin Fizz; Sticky Asian BBQ Boneless Oven Baked Chicken Wings; Yakiudon; Ricotta Beignets with Lemon-Cardamom Sugar and Lemon Glaze and Cinnamon Apple Pull Apart Bread.
- Do you have a favourite Pinterest board? My mom just shared this one with me – Beautiful Things That Make Me Smile. Two of my favourites to create at the moment are Portraits: People of the World and The Little Things.
- What a great photo series from Rose Callahan – “I Am Dandy: The Return of the Elegant Gentleman” and these Hop Picking Portraits on Spitalfields Life. Also, loving the photography of Raul Villalon on Flickr, particularly the night shots on the streets.
- Raining? Which one of these crazy umbrellas would you carry around? The red heart is my favourite.
- 5 fun pieces of street art: Martin Whatson in Stavanger, Norway; Kamea Hadar & Defer in San Francisco, California, USA; David Walker in Helsingborg, Sweden; Os Gemeos in Vancouver, Canada and Phlegm at The Royal Opera House in London.
- Apple cocktail for Autumn, anyone? They all look amazing to me!
- Loving the new Nordic nail polish collection from OPI. Colour wish list: Can’t A Fjord Not To & Thank Glogg It’s Friday.
- Lastly, I can never get enough of these videos about how crayons are made:
Enjoy your weekend!