One of my most favourite ways to pass a weekend is by exploring a new city. Though Boston isn’t entirely new, last weekend was the first time I truly had a chance to wander around. Jorge came with me, just for the weekend. We ate lobster, strolled along the harbour and threw a few snowballs. When he headed back to London on Monday, he left beautiful pink flowers in my room – the joy of the little things!
I’ve been working in Boston all week, but this afternoon I’m heading up to good old North Tonawanda, New York to relax for the next few colder and (hopefully) snowier days ahead.
Photo: From the archives – A cat lounging in the Sunday sun at the market in Mogotes, Colombia
Here are a few links for the next couple of days:
- The NY Times gives us a glimpse into the rooms of five writers.
- 5 recipes to try: Healthy, Easy Peach Frozen Yogurt; Blood Orange Margarita Granita; Elevated Egg McMuffin; Salted Caramel Crunch Banana Bread; and Shrimp Dumplings.
- Lovely upside down gardens suspended from ceilings by Rebecca Louise Law.
- An interesting series of photographs featuring the last meals of those on death row by Henry Hargreaves: a single olive with a pit; Fried chicken, peas with butter, apple pie and Dr. Pepper; 2 pints of mint and chocolate chip ice cream. What would your last meal be?
- Diana writes about funky bathroom wallpaper on exPress-o – fun! Makes me want my own house. Hm.
- Cup of Jo has some tips for a perfect blow-out style blow dry at home… and it doesn’t look too difficult. Something to try!
- 5 places I’d like to stay: Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland; Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge in Australia; Crayon Hotel in Paris; the Black Sheep Inn in Ecuador; and The Peech in South Africa.
- Stumbled upon a colourful Instagram photo essay on Thailand by Caroline King who comes from my native Buffalo, New York.
- It’s so much fun finding quirky door-knockers when you’re walking along and this collection that Honestly WTF put together has some of the best I’ve seen – in particular the cat and mouse. Fabulous.
- Have you seen the video of Brooklyn shoemaker Frank Catalfumo? Stories like this are pretty amazing:
Have a fun weekend!